Sunday, July 22, 2007

What is Retirement?

Is retirement doing what you enjoy or stopping doing what we don't necessarily enjoy? We see a lot of articles that talk about retirement planning, getting rich quickly, using the rich dad philosophy (whtever that means), not many that address what really retirement means

Searching for the definition of retirement on google http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Aretirement brings this up.

The general simpllistic view of retirement seems to be work from you mid 20's to late 60's, save a lot of money and then do whatever you want / enjoy for the rest of your life. Seems a little twisted since atleast I want to be doing what I enjoy for most of my life than only after my 60's or may be I have a wrong understanding of retirement really means. I am not wedded about the above simplistic view nor I would think most people are, but the random thought I am having is humans were not meant to like this. The civilization has evolved to make us this way, live with a formula. I think it is time to breakout of that as a civilization and make the day to day activities interesting, lively and enjoyable.

May be this is what people call living in the present??

No comments: